My Spouse Has Threatened Me with Violence if We Divorce – What Do I Do?

My spouse has threatened me with violence

Under Texas law, a spouse may report any instance of family violence to the proper police authority. Sometimes, police don’t have enough to arrest a person because the threat is vague or there is no evidence.

A temporary restraining order or protective order may be necessary depending on the extent and severity of the threat. 

Oftentimes, emotions run wild and people say things they normally wouldn’t act on. However, each instance must be considered on a case-by-case basis. 

A qualified attorney may include a temporary restraining order or protective order in a divorce to protect the family and secure a safe premises for the children, and to ensure that nothing is lost or wasted during the pendency of the divorce.

For help with this or other matters, call The Barrera Law Firm at (956) 428-2822 for a free consultation or complete our online form.

I’ve Been Served With a Temporary Restraining Order With My Divorce – What Do I Do?

Under Texas law, temporary restraining orders are meant to keep the peace during a divorce, provide protection of evidence and community property, and keep the other parent from hiding the children or moving away with them until a hearing is held by a judge within 14 days of application.

  • The first thing to do is seek out a lawyer and read the entire document.  Read it thoroughly, make notes, and be sure to have your lawyer explain any word or concept you don’t understand.
  • The second thing you should do is retain a lawyer to file a counter suit and apply for your own restraining order, so that all is fair and equal for the hearing.
  • The next thing you should do is gather witnesses and evidence of any issue that is being contested. 

Very often, judges like for things to remain as fair as possible with regard to finances and as normal as possible for the children with no major changes occurring unless there is possible danger or neglect.

For more information or help with a legal issue, please call The Barrera Law Firm at (956) 428-2822 or complete our online form.