What If My Ex Won’t Pay Child Support? Texas: Understanding Your Options

by Ricardo Barrera

Going through a separation or divorce is a difficult process, and when children are involved, the well-being and financial stability of the child become paramount. In Texas, child support is a legal obligation that both parents must fulfill. However, situations may arise where one parent refuses or fails to pay their child support obligations, causing frustration and financial strain for the custodial parent. If you find yourself in this situation, it’s important to understand your rights and the options available to ensure the financial support your child deserves.

Understanding the Importance of Child Support

Child support is the legal responsibility of both parents, regardless of their marital status. Its primary purpose is to ensure that the child’s basic needs, such as housing, food, education, and medical care, are adequately met. The State of Texas has established guidelines to calculate child support based on the income of the noncustodial parent, and these guidelines are generally adhered to by the courts.

Communicate and Document

If your ex-partner is not fulfilling their child support obligations, it’s essential to maintain clear lines of communication. Reach out to them to discuss the issue and remind them of their legal duty to provide financial support for the child. Keep a record of all interactions, including dates, times, and any agreements or promises made. This documentation will serve as evidence in case legal action becomes necessary.

Seek Assistance from the Office of the Attorney General (OAG)

In Texas, the Office of the Attorney General (OAG) plays a crucial role in enforcing child support orders. You can seek their assistance by applying for their services, even if you haven’t received public assistance. The OAG has various tools at their disposal to help ensure child support payments, such as income withholding orders, property liens, and the suspension of licenses (driver’s, professional, or recreational) for non-payment.

File a Motion to Enforce

If informal attempts to resolve the issue fail, you may need to escalate the matter legally. To do so, you can file a Motion to Enforce with the court that issued the child support order. This motion will request the court’s intervention to enforce the existing child support order, potentially leading to consequences for the non-paying parent, such as fines, wage garnishment, or even jail time in extreme cases.

Consult with an Attorney

Navigating the legal complexities of child support issues can be overwhelming, especially if you’re unfamiliar with the intricacies of family law. Seeking the guidance of a qualified family law attorney can help ensure you understand your rights, explore all available legal options, and receive the support you and your child are entitled to. An attorney can help you with the process of filing a Motion to Enforce and represent your interests in court if necessary.

When your ex-partner refuses to pay child support, it can be incredibly frustrating and financially challenging. However, it’s important to remember that Texas law provides mechanisms to enforce child support orders and protect the well-being of your child. By communicating, documenting, seeking assistance from the Office of the Attorney General, and consulting with an attorney, you can take proactive steps to hold your ex-partner accountable and ensure the financial support your child deserves. Remember, the best interest of the child should always be the top priority, and Texas law is there to support you in that endeavor.

Use an experienced attorney to help with new or existing legal issues that may require legal intervention. The Barrera Law Firm, Harlingen, Texas, is available to help you. Call today (956) 428-2822 for a free consultation.



for your FREE consultation

An attorney will evaluate
your claim.